There are many safer, less toxic and low risk alternatives to traditional chemical cosmetic pesticides like Killex, Weed N Feed and RoundUp.
Low risk pesticides are safer than traditional cosmetic pesticides because they . . .
- acetic acid
- asphalt solids (pruning paints)
- bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki (Btk)
- boron compounds
- boron compounds with up to 5% copper for insect control and wood preservation
- corn gluten meal
- ferric phosphate
- ferrous sulphate
- insect pheromones
- mineral oils for insect and mite control
- silicon dioxide, aka "diatomaceous earth".
Some BC bylaws refer to these low risk products as “Permitted Pesticides” as their use is allowed or “permitted”.
See left sidebar "Low Risk Pesticides" for Revelstoke's exemplary lower risk approach.
Home owners and landscaping applicators do not need a permit to use lower risk pesticides.
Some of these low risk pesticides and products are listed below.
Be cautious when using these products . . . like traditional cosmetic pesticides, they are toxic and kill. However, these products are less toxic than banned ones.
Low Risk Pesticide Ingredients and Products*
|Acetic acid (vinegar)
President's Choice Weed Controller Herbicide
Scott's EcoSense Weed Control
|Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) and nematodes
||Environmental Factor Grub Busters
Natural Insect Control Lawn Guard Nematodes
Safer's BTK Biological Insecticide
|Boric or boracic acid (borax)
||Raid Liquid Ant Killer
Safer's Attack Ant Killer
Wilson Liquid Antex
|Corn gluten meal
||Environmental Factor Turf Maize
WOW Without Weeds
|Diatomaceous earth (Silicon dioxide)
Crawling Insect Killer
Green Earth Dio Bug and Slug Killer
Raid Earthblends Ant and Earwig Dust
||Environmental Factor Zap Insecticidal Soap
Scott's EcoSense Insecticidal Soap
||Safer's Slug and Snail Bait
Scott's EcoSense Slug and Snail Bait
Sluggo Slug and Snail Bait for Gardens
|Mineral oil - dormant or horticultural oil
||Green Earth Horticultural Oil Insect Spray
Later's Dormant Oil Spray
Plant Products Dormant Oil
|Pyrethrum or pyrethrins
||Raid EarthBlends Vegetable Bug Fogger
Safer's Vegetable Garden Insecticide
||Green Earth Insecticidal Soap
Safer's Trounce Yard and Garden Insecticide
Wilson Pro Insecticidal Soap Concentrate
|Sulphur (lime sulphur and other sulphur compounds)
||Green Earth Garden Fungicide
Later's Garden Sulphur Fungicide
Safer's Defender Garden Fungicide
*This is not a complete list and does not endorse any product.
Check out the six other topics in this section including . . .
- For more on sustainable, pesticide free organic land care, click here.
- For tips for a healthy and sustainable garden, click here.
- For tips for a healthy and sustainable lawn, click here.
- For over 100 Pesticide Free initiatives in BC, click here.
For more info . . .
- Why pesticides are killers and a list of banned cosmetic pesticide ingredients and products, click here.
- Why BC needs a strong "no IPM" ban (like Ontario, Nova Scotia and Quebec) and why this won't happen under the BC Liberals, click here.
- To advocate for strong ban legislation in BC, click here.
Last Updated on Friday, 13 September 2013 09:09
Tell Premier Clark she needs to honour her 2011 pesticide ban commitment.
Call the Premier's office at 250 387 1715 or email
Together, let's make BC pesticide free.